01 November 2008

Stage 2

Well, how exciting! The last 2 days I have spent with my number 1 tool, a crowbar, removing the next stage of the boat. It went from this:

To this at the end of day one

To this at close of play yesterday. I found that working in jandals/flip flops/slippers around the job to be not that clever, as the ring shank boat nails stick really well in flesh and need to be pulled out. Back into my safety boots!

I have cleared back to the aft end of the engine room and our first 2 jobs will be to seal off the top of the keel with vinylesterand chopped strand mat, then we will fit the bulkhead at the forward end of the engine room. That we can fit floors with tanks under. Sounds easy!

On deck I have fitted the front two portlight covers and I am really happy how they have come up. It is completely sealed and the only way it will leak will be under the Lewmar portlight flange.

2 comments:

Paul Jennings - SY Taniwha said...

Hi Dean,

Things look to be progressing well: what you've done looks superb.

I have a question: What are the portlight covers, where did you get them, and why are you using them? Why not just attached the ports directly to the coachroof?

Also, did you consider using MAxwell's Weaver brand ports & hatches - they're an NZ company and the product looks fairly good, but I have no experience with it.

Hopefully you still have my email. I may email these questions to you also.

Cheers,
Paul.
SY Taniwha

Dean said...

Basically, I made the decision to replace the existing bronze portlights, which fit from the inside, with a flanged portlight that is fitted from the outside. Looking at the way the old ones tried to hold the water on the outside, it was always going to be an uphill battle to prevent leakage. Also, as I was effectively reducing the thickness of the coachroof by removing the plywood lining, I would have had to cut the bronze portlights down to size - so they would not stick out further than the outside of the coachroof. Also to use my old portlights again I would have needed to completely disassemble and replace caulking etc. New ones looked good all round!

I selected Lewmar as the size was closest to the original hole, nothing against the Weaver ones as they look good too. The difference in size meant we needed to cut one side of the hole and fill another. All the existing holes are different sizes. The other consideration was that the outside of the coachroof needed to be flat - Lewmar allow a maximum of 1mm curvature. My boatbuilder Bill suggested we make a mould for the surrounds, which we then fit over the existing mis-mash of coachroof. You could of course do the same thing by building up parts of the holes with glass but it would be a long, painful job.

I think Bill's suggestion was a very good one and I am very happy with the result. We will paint over the surrounds and then fit the portlights, which should be a pretty quick process.